Thursday 23 April 2015

Nature study in the garden

"Children should be encouraged to watch, patiently and quietly, until they learn something of the habits and history of bee, ants, wasp, spider, hairy caterpillar, dragon-fly, and whatever of larger growth comes in their way" 
Charlotte Mason, 19th century educator. 

I am absolutely loving the Charlotte Mason approach to home education. It really clicks with us as a family. As the kids are under 6, the Charlotte mason approach involves much of our days filled with outside-time, the weather at the moment is certainly lending itself to this! There are lots of ways to spend time outside, often I leave the kids to decide themselves. 

Today, Eden was excited to find an ants nest! I decided just this week that for the time being (until the summer or longer) I'd like us to focus on getting to know insects better, so this was the perfect opportunity for me to run inside and grab my Handbook of Nature Study to look up ants. We made a nature journal entry answering some very simple questions on the ants' activity around the nest, and if we find another nest this year we'll add to our answers. 

A little while later, the kids found 3 snails on a plant pot tray. They were very friendly snails! The kids spent ages this afternoon observing them close up and looking after them. They really grabbed their attention. I love the photos I took, capturing those special moments. 







1 comment:

Emma x said...

What great photos, I am so happy we have been able to get outside a little more. We pent this afternoon drawing in the garden ♡ Thanks for linking up to #homeedwed