Thursday, 20 August 2009

Strickland Camping weekend

Mountain biking Kite flying

Last weekend was the annual Strickland camping weekend. Unfortunately Luke and I couldnt get any time off work, so I wasnt looking forward to the long drive up to North Wales from Southampton on Friday evening. But as it happened, the roads were clear all the way and we made it in 3 hours and 40 mins, with a 10minute stop at Frankley services. It was a real blessing that the roads were pretty much traffic-free.

We arrived at the campsite and had sent our tent on ahead with Luke's folks last weekend as we werent sure how long the drive was going to take us, so it was lovely to not have to be putting the tent up at 9:30pm at night. After a quick chat to everyone we got an early night as it had been a really long day! I used my campbed again (I bought it for Taize), which coupled with my pregnancy V pillow underneath it for extra support, is surprisingly comfortable.

Saturday morning Luke, Alex, Mash, Jas and Pip went off to the local mountain biking trails, I was abit jealous watching them go, but had a lovely morning talking babies with Tasha and Helen and reading my murder mystery book: Choc Chip Cookie Murder, by Joanna Fluke.

In the afternoon we went into Llangollen for some supplies for the bbq and had an icecream. The weather was warm most of the time but overcast. Just as the bbq was lit it started to pour with rain, but we were prepared and had put the gazebo up, which was great for cooking under.

Saturday evening we played Settlers of Catan, our favourite game. I won! (I have kind of stopped trying, as I have quite a good win record at the moment and am starting to feel guilty about it). It occurred to me that no one ever loses graciously at Settlers of Catan - there's no 'Well done, well played', its more of a grumble, and a 'I was only one move away from winning' etc type comment.

Sunday morning was freezing! After packing the tents up and having lunch we started our drive back. About half an hour into the drive the sun came out and it warmed up, so I think we must have been on the edge of a weather front. We stopped by Nine Acres for tea and cake and got back home about 6pm, in time to watch the 100m sprint final at the World Championships! Tash and Patrick's Teepee

No comments: