Thursday 29 October 2009

The Hills are alive...


Just got back from a walk up Clent Hills. It's one of my most favourite places to be in the world, and I've been going there since before I can remember. It's a 5 minute drive from my parent's house, or a 20-25 minute (hard) up-hill run to the car park and a further 5 minute (easier) uphill run to the top. Needless to say I didn't run it today in my present condition! Growing up, I was blessed to have a fantastic view of the hills from my bedroom window, and placed my desk in front of the window so I could look out regularly when doing homework and study.

Walking up today, the clouds were low, so rather than the usual amazing views looking out past field upon field towards the Malvern Hills in the distance, there was an atmospheric, quiet bleakness, but stunning all the same. The leaves on the trees are all changing colour, and it's extremely mild T-shirt weather despite being nearly November. The only noise you can hear is the wind rustling through the trees, and the occasional chatter of walkers that you pass. 2 dogs have just been let off their leads and are playfully chasing each other, round and round the benches.

There's a bench at the top of the easy-access path that I always stop to sit on, and in my opinion has the best views although it's not quite at the highest point of the hills. I've spent many a time sitting alone on this bench contemplating life. The peak is behind you, and there's 180 degree views of countryside. It's here that I feel particularly close to God, as I admire his creation and can hear him whispering love through the wind in the trees. Today up there I'm reminded of the Delirious song 'My Soul Sings':

Open my eyes and see
The wonderful mystery of love
Falling in to you
I'm drawn to the gravity of love, love, love

We're standing still
In a moment of eternity
Where worlds collide
And I feel the breath of heaven over me

My soul sings, my soul sings
My soul sings, how I love you
My soul sings, my soul sings
My soul sings, how I love you


I have many memories of being up Clent. As a child, I played tree-tig in a little copse, with siblings and friends; and used to climb an old tree stump which is now completely gone; Matt and I played tracking. I helped dedicate a shelter with the Brownies. I've done Duke of Edinburgh walks. I've had picnics, I've laughed, I've made decisions about my future, I've walked, I've taken the mountain bike up there, I've run... I've run alot! I've seen season upon season come and go up there. I've seen the New Year in many a time from the top, including the Millenium, and Luke and I had our wedding reception there 3 years ago.

Walking up there today, 35 weeks pregnant it occurred to me that probably the next time I'm up there will be a new chapter for me and the family. Next time I'm up there, I'll probably have a little baby in tow too!

No comments: