Sunday 29 May 2011

Smell the roses

It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses we must plant more trees. 
George Eliot

Wandering around my neighbourhood the other day, I noticed that a lot of gardens around here have roses, they're all in flower at the moment and look so beautiful.

This led to the decision to plant 3 or 4 roses along the currently empty border in our front garden. So this afternoon, we took a trip to a local nursery (a much nicer experience than visiting a garden centre) to pick up some roses.

We've picked a yellow flowering one called 'Peace' and 2 others, one is pink and one is scarlet.

I'll be leaving a space in the border, as in a couple of years time I'd like to have a go at taking a hardwood cutting of my Dad's new 'Eden' rose (our daughter's name is Eden Rose). I've heard that propagating plants in this way is quite difficult, but I'd like to give it a go.  

No comments: