Friday 9 March 2012

Asher Benjamin is born!

Very happy to be writing about the arrival of our baby boy, Asher Benjamin. He was born at home at 2:14am on Tuesday 6/3/12, weighing a healthy 9lb!

My due date was Monday 5/3/12, and after a walk I spent the evening bouncing on the birth ball, with a few strong tightenings, not particularly painful though. I went to bed at 10pm, and half an hour later the tightenings were getting stronger so I thought it was best for Luke to maybe inflate the birthpool just in case. I got up too and had a little walk around the house, trying to stay active. The tightenings pretty much dwindled away, so we headed back to bed at 11:30pm. I was dozing, and an hour later at 12:30am I had my first contraction - a *really* strong painful contraction and said to Luke if I had another one I'd have to get up. A few minutes later it happened again, and I knew I was in labour.

We rang the on call midwife, who arrived about 1:15am. Luke was busy filling the birth pool and I was leaning over the kitchen counter, focussing on my breathing. It was all very intense and happening quickly. The midwife took one look at me, and rang for the second midwife, before even examining me. At 1:30am I was 6cm, and got into the birthpool. With my first birth, the water had provided amazing pain relief - I found this time it just about took the edge of the pain, but didn't give me the same relief as last time.

A few minutes after getting into the pool I was already feeling the urge to push. As my waters hadn't gone yet, the midwife said this would be the feeling of extra pressure. I was worried it was too soon, having a few minutes before been at 6cm, but the midwife said to just go with what my body was telling me. I tried to not push for as long as possible, but started pushing just after 2am when I couldn't hold back any longer, the second midwife arrived around this time too, and my waters finally broke. I was so grateful to my midwife who helped me through the crowning stage as I was worried about tearing - she did a fab job guiding me.

Asher Benjamin arrived at 2:14am - 1 and 3/4 hours after my first painful contraction. I was so relieved it was over - it was a much more full-on experience than with my first! We had lovely cuddles in the birthpool, followed by his first feed on the sofa, and were tucked in bed as the midwives were leaving. So pleased to have had another successful homebirth!

First look at Mummy!

A few hours old
Asher is very different to his big sister. He's 3 days old now. He's latching on really well, settling in his Moses basket, taking a dummy - all the opposite to the early days with Eden! He's seems on the whole to be very chilled out, and has white blond hair - just like all the male babies have had on his Daddy's side.  

Eden is being a great big sister, she keeps checking on Asher, likes to show him her toys, and is keen to help out with nappy changes!

No comments: