Thursday 23 June 2011

Breastfeeding Awareness Week: Breast Milk Donation

Every Mum has a story when it comes to breastfeeding. They may have found it a positive experience, a difficult experience or a bit of both. For me, I found it to be a bit of both. I was going to write a post of my story, but have actually changed my mind, instead I want to promote the case of breast milk donation. This is something that I wasn't aware of when I was feeding my daughter, only subsequently finding out. But I think it's such a worthy cause to be writing about, and if I'd known about it at the time I would definitely have looked into becoming a donor.

There are 17 main breastmilk banks in the UK along with additional satellite banks, providing precious milk to sick and premature babies, increasing their chances of survival and aiding their long-term development. I watched a documentary the other day that stated that when hospitals run out of breastmilk donations, it can be purchased for upto £100/litre! That's an expensive commodity!

The UK Association for Milk Banking (UKAMB) is a charity set up to promote and support breastmilk donation. Their motto is EVERY DROP COUNTS. For more information about them or to find out more about milk donation please do visit their website.

A donation of breastmilk is such a special, lifesaving gift to consider giving.

No comments: